How to twit for the first time?
Found In: Social Networks
To post on Twitter simply write something in the “What are you doing?” section and hit “Update”. These posts must be 140 characters or less, but likely there is a countdown timer that will keep you informed on how many characters you have left. Everyone who is following you will then be able to see this post. There are a few things you will have to understand when posting on Twitter. There is a whole new vocabulary associated with this social networking site. On Twitter you will be able to:
- RT (Retweet): this basically means taking something that someone else posted and reposting it yourself. The original person will automatically be mentioned in the post. In the past you would have had to credit the person yourself, but now it is done automatically by the system.
- Tweet: this is the basic 140 character message that you type in “What are you doing?”.
- TweetUp: this is how you “hook up” with other people who are using Twitter.
- TT (Trending Topics): when you check out the Trending Topics you will be able to see what the most common topics are that people have been talking about across Twitter. You will also be able to see what the top Tweets are. These are posts that have been retweeted more than 150 times. In this way you will be able to find other Twitter users who are interested in the same topics as you are and you will be able to follow them on Twitter and join in conversations with them.
- Lists: Lists allow you to organise the various people you are following into relevant categories, such as “Work” and “School”.
- When posting, use hashtags (#) before the topic or word you are writing about so that the main topics that you are Tweeting can becoming easily searchable. Trending Topics are identified through hashtags.
- If you want to mention a particular person in your Tweets, use an @ sign before their username and they will automatically receive a notification of this mention. Don’t put a space in between the @ and the username. To find out who is mentioning you in their Tweets, check your @Mentions section.