How do I use WordPress.com effectively?
WordPress.com is a very useful resource for bloggers. With WordPress.com you will be able to make your blog or your website look a whole lot better than it otherwise would. There are so many options available to you when it comes to Wrodpress.com, but many people are not completely sure on how to use this system. If you read the following advice you will be able to learn quickly and easily how to use WordPress.com to your advantage and to make the most of the blog or website that you have.
Steps for Creating a WordPress.com Website
The firs thing that you will have to do if you want to make a website using WordPress.com is to go to the WordPress.com website and sign up. When you type in www.wordpress.com you will arrive at the homepage of WordPress. Once you are at the homepage you will be able to sign up for your WordPress.com account. This account will be free for you to create, so you will lose nothing at all by going to the website and clicking the “Sign up now” button. Signing up with WordPress.com is easy and simple to do.
You will then have to fill out the form that you are presented with. On the form you will have to provide the following information:
- A username: When you create your username you will have to think of something that is at least four letters long. It should contain only numbers. It should contain only *lower case* letters. It should be something that you will be able to remember easily.
- A password: Below the filed for your username you will then be able to enter your preferred password. Your password can contain lower case letters, upper case letters, numbers, and/or symbols, depending on how complex you want your username to be. Again, make sure that you will be able to remember the password easily enough, and make sure that it is something that another person would not be able to guess easily. Every time you create a new password for a new account you will have to type the password twice in order to confirm the password.
- An email address: The next field that you will have to fill in is your valid email address. This will be the email address that you want to be linked with your WordPress account. This email address will of course need to be valid.
- Terms and Conditions: Next you will need to click on the “I Agree” option for the terms and conditions.
- Click on “Give me a Blog” and then hit “Next”.
The next thing that you will have to do in order to start using WordPress.com is to create a domain name. This is a very important aspect as you will not be able to have a website if there is not domain name and other people will be unable to find your website you your domain name is not specified. You will have to supply this information on the second page of the sign up section on the Wrodpress.com website. Think about the URL you would like to use. Once you have decided enter it as follows: www.yourblogdomain.wordpress.com You should be sure to check whether or not this domain already exists. You could do this by searching in your web browser for that domain and seeing if it comes up. Once you have specified your domain name you will not be able to change it. Rather you will have to create a whole new account by clicking on “sign up” once again and repeating the entire process.
The next step of the WordPress.com setup process is to provide profile information. You will be able to do this on the third screen of the sign up process. This information can be easily changed later on, so if you make errors or if some of your information changes somewhere along the way, don’t worry. Unlike the URL this information is not permanent and you will not have to start the process again if you want to make any changes to this section of your WordPress.com account.
Now comes time to activate your account. In order for your account to be activated an activation email will be sent to your email address. The address that it will be sent to is the one that you entered on the first page of the sign up process. In order for the activation to be completed you will have to check your email account and open the email that WordPress.com has sent you. There will be a link in the email. Click on this link to activate your account. If this doesn’t work then you can simply copy and paste the link into the URL and hit enter.
Once you have activated the account you will be sent to the login page of WordPress.com. You will now be able to use the username and password you specified in the first step of the sign up application. This is the username and password you will use from now on.
Now comes the time to start creating your website or your blog. To do this you should click on the “Dashboard” option that will appear at the top of the page once you have logged in. with the Dashboard you will have the option to make the following changes:
- Create and access your blog
- Add sidebar content
- Create pages
The next step is to go to “Settings” in order to create a title for your blog as well as a tagline which will give visitors to your blog or website an idea of what your blog is about.
To create a “Home” page that will always appear when people login, go to the Dashboard and select “pages”. Then title the new page that you create as “home” and this will be what people see when they access your website.
It will not take you long to get the hang of the WordPress.com system. You should be able to figure it out in no time at all. Most things are highly self-explanatory.