Important Things to Know About Upcoming
Warning! Website described in this article is discontinued and no longer in service. Content is moved to ‘Discontinued Websites‘.
Upcoming is a website that tracks what things there are for you to do around the country. It keeps you in the loop regarding events. It is linked to Yahoo, so the first thing you will have to do is create a Yahoo ID.
Creating a Yahoo ID
There are a few steps you can follow to create a Yahoo ID.
- The first step is to go to the Yahoo registration page which can be found at https://edit.yahoo.com/registration. If you are unable to click on the link to access the website, simply copy and paste it into your URL and press Enter.
- Fill in the personal information that is requested of you, namely your name, Gender, Birthday, Country you are from, and your postal code/zip code.
- The next is to choose your Yahoo Id @yahoo.com. It must be 4 to 32 characters and it must start with a letter and can contain numbers, letters, underscores (not hyphens) and a dot. Click the link to see if this ID is available and it you used the correct format.
- Choose and confirm he password you would like to use. Remember that the password you choose should be something that is easy for you to remember. At the same time it should also be something that other people will not easily be able to guess. Think about this carefully.
- Give an alternate email address. Your email address is needed so that you will be able to access your account if you ever forget your password.
- Select two secret questions. These are security measures to try to make sure that your account is never compromised by outside forces. Choose the security questions you want. Make sure that the answers will be obvious to you, but obscure to everybody else out there.
- You will then have to prove that you are human by completing the security verification section. This simply involves typing in the words that are shown to you on the screen. If you cannot see them you will have the option of generating new word and trying again. This is for your own security as well as for the security of other users. It protects against people who use programs to create accounts and then spam you.
Using Upcoming to organise your events
There are some steps you can follow in order to make the most of using Upcoming.
- Go to http://upcoming.yahoo.com/. If you are unable to click on the link to access the website, simply copy and paste it into your URL and press Enter.
- On the right hand side about half way down is an option to sign in. Click on this option.
- You will then have the option to create a new Yahoo account, sign in with an existing account, or sign in using Facebook or Google. Choose the appropriate option.
- If there is a particular event that you are interested in you can search for it using the search bar.
- This will bring up a list of events. Look through the list and see if there are any events that match what you were searching for. You can then click on the “I’m interested” or the “I’m Going” option. This will add the events to your profile. To the view the event again at a later stage go to the “My Events” tab. This is found on the main page of your profile.
- You can click on the name of the event. This will bring up a whole lot of information for your consideration. You could, for example, read more information about the event or find out what other events are happening in the same area as that event. You can also find groups that have been created based on the event.
- If you don’t have a specific event in mind, but you do have a specific location, you cans each for events by location and it will bring up everything that is going on in that area. You can also search for users and venues on the website.
- You can also use this system to add your own events. To do this click on the “Add Event” tab. Fill in all of the relevant information regarding the event and then click “Submit”. This means that other people using Upcoming to find events in your area will be able to see your event and perhaps even join it!
- You can invite friends to any of the events on your Upcoming account that you are planning to attend yourself or that you have created. Below each event there is an “Invite Friends” option. Click on this to invite friends straight from the Upcoming website.
Things to know about Upcoming
- Upcoming is completely free and the developers make their money through advertising. You will never have to pay to use Upcoming.
- You will not be sent spam form Upcoming or any emails that are not directly related to Upcoming.
- You can merge your Upcoming account with your Yahoo account. When the two services are linked it will make socializing using the events you find on Upcoming and sharing information about them a whole lot easier.
Getting started with Upcoming is very easy. It is also very easy to use once you have created your Yahoo! ID and have signed into the Upcoming website. The website is quite good at detecting your location but if need be you can change the location specified. This is a great way to become aware of what events are happening in your area and to make sure that you are attending all the events that are important to you. It is also an easy way to let your friends and family know about events that you think that they will be interested in and to connect with people by finding and joining groups related to the events that you are hoping to attend. Upcoming is free, so you can’t lose anything by signing up for a Yahoo! account and getting started!