What Is Typepad and How Does It Work?
Found In: Blogging
Typepad is basically a place where you can blog. However, unlike some blogging sites, this one you have to pay for. Luckily you get a lot for your money. You get a number of features and the opportunity to integrate the blog with your own domain name if that is what you would like to do. It is great for small businesses and other professionals who want to do a bit of online marketing.
Creating a Typepad blog
There are a few very easy steps you can follow if you want to create a blog using Typepad. Follow the instructions below in order to get started.
- The first thing you need to do is go to the Typepad homepage. This can be found at www.typepad.com. If you are unable to click on the link to access the website, simply copy and paste it into your URL and press Enter.
- You then want to make your way to the registration form that you will have to fill in. To do this, locate the big yellow button on the site that says “Start Free Trial now”.
- You will now have to choose between three plans. The first plan is the Plus plan at $8.95 a month. With this plan you get beautiful designs, personal support, and the ability to map your domain. The second option is the Unlimited Plan at $14.95 a month. With this plan you get beautiful designs, personal support, the ability to map your domain, the ability to create unlimited blogs, and the ability to fully customize your design. The last option is the Premium plan at $29.95 a month. With this plan you get beautiful designs, personal support, the ability to map your domain, the ability to create unlimited blogs, .the ability to fully customize your design, and priority support. Once you have chosen the option that best suits you, click on the relevant link to continue.
- You will then be taken to a form that you can fill in. To go straight to the Plus Plan, click on https://www.typepad.com/secure/services/register?acctlevel=plus. To go straight to the Unlimited Plan, click on https://www.typepad.com/secure/services/register?acctlevel=pro. And to go straight to the Premium Plan, click on https://www.typepad.com/secure/services/register?acct_level=premium. If you are unable to click on the link to access the page, simply copy and paste it into your URL and press Enter.
- Fill in the information that is required. In the form provided. The first thing you will have to enter is the URL for your blog. Think about this carefully and make sure that it is original and memorable.
- Give an email address. Your email address is needed so that the verification email can be sent to you and so that you will be able to access your account if you ever forget your password.
- Choose a password. Remember that the password you choose should be something that is easy for you to remember. At the same time it should also be something that other people will not easily be able to guess. Think about this carefully.
- Choose a display name and specify your gender.
- Say whether or not you want to receive news emails.
- Click on the button to confirm your account registration. Remember that by doing this you are agreeing to the terms and conditions of the site. It is suggested that you actually read these terms first before agreeing to them.
- The next thing you will have to do is to provide your billing information so that you can be charged for your use of Typepad.
- Once you have done this you will receive an email notification at the email address that you specified during the sign up process. Click on this link. If you are unable to click on the link simply copy and paste it into the URL.
Things to know about Typepad
There are a number of things that you should know about Typepad:
- You cannot delete a Typepad account completely. If you want to stop using the service contact Typepad and have them take your profile offline so that you will not be charged anymore.
- To cancel a paid account you will have to follow some steps. Firstly you should go to “Account”, and then click on “Billing Info” and then on “cancel Account”. This has to be done by you as during the cancellation process you will need to confirm that you do indeed want your account to be cancelled.
- Note that you cannot transfer ownership of your account to another person at this point in time.
- To delete a blog go to “Blogs”, then “Settings”, then “Basics” and then “Delete this blog”. Make sure that you confirm that you want to blog deleted by clicking on “OK”.
- If you want to change the name of a blog, go to “Blogs”, then “Settings and then change the name listed under “Blog Name’.
Some tips for making a great Typepad blog
- Make your purpose clear.
- Place key information “above the fold.”
- Create a custom banner.
- Keep it simple.
- Discover whitespace.
- Do a usability check.
- Check your blog in several different browsers.
- Use complementary colours.
- Check your copy size.
- Add visual interest with photos.
Using Typepad is very easy and you will soon find that you are able to use this great blogging site to create and generate a whole new market. It is a great way to make contact with the outside world quickly and easily and you will pleased to hear that the functions on Typepad are only getting better. Remember that you get a free trial. This ultimately means that you can’t really lose anything by signing up for a Typepad account. There are a large number of benefits to suing Typepad and you will have plenty of time to discover each and every one of them during your free trial of the system. It really can’t hurt to give it a try so start a Typepad blog today!