Joining and Getting Started With SpeedDate
Found In: Dating
SpeedDate is the world’s first online speed dating website. It was originally a Stanford University business class project started by two Stanford graduates, Simon Tisminezky and Dan Abelon. Simon was frustrated because he felt he was wasting months on traditional dating sites where he had to email back and forth before actually going to meet the person face-to-face, only to realize within about two minutes of meeting the person that there was no chemistry. And so the class-project of online speed-dating was started, and it worked so well that it has grown into a thriving business.
This site works the same way as conventional speed-dating works; you meet and chat with others on the site via instant messaging and live video for five minutes, after which you can choose to continue chatting or move on to someone else. SpeedDate has hosted in excess of 60 million online speed-dates since its launch in 2007.
SpeedDate can be accessed via computer or laptop, and also has applications on Android, iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, Bebo, Meebo, MySpace, and Facebook. It is, like many other dating sites, what is referred to as a freemium service, which means that it has free and premium services; its revenue is generated from premium subscriptions.
Signing up and Getting Started
SpeedDate is all about creating real-time interactions with other singles in your geographical area, so it is no wonder that getting signed up is so quick and so easy that you can literally be speed-dating within minutes. Sign-up is free, although there is a premium version available too, which will be discussed further down in this article.
- Simply go the SpeedDate website, where there will automatically be a pop-up window.
- Fill in all the blocks displayed asking for your information such as what your gender is, what you are looking for, country and city then press continue and fill in all the rest of the information required.
- Upload a nice head-shot of yourself to be used as your avatar so that people can see what you look like, and you are ready to speed-date.
- You will immediately be introduced to singles in your geographical area with whom you can chat. You can have as many speed-dates as you choose.
- Remember to log out once you have finished chatting so that nobody else can get into your site and pretend to be you. You will have to log in every time you want to use the site by giving the password that you created when you signed up.
How does SpeedDate work?
Once you log in to your site using your personal password and click “start” you will be set up with dates
- You can do your dating by using instant messaging or webcams/live audio
- If you enjoy your date you can vote “yes” to add them to your buddy list
- You will be shown profiles of singles in your area and with whom you should be compatible, based on your profile information
- You can send winks and flirts and add people to your buddy list whist online
- Once you find someone you like and have clicked with you can get to know them via your buddy list and then arrange a real date when you are both ready
How to SpeedDate Successfully
SpeedDate works better than the other dating sites because you are talking to people in real-time, not just sending messages via chat and e-mail. This allows you to connect personally and find out immediately whether there is a spark between you or not. You can make your short time speaking to another single work for you by:
- Making it personal – Whilst discussions on the world economy or global-warming are great when you are sitting in a coffee shop with friends, it would serve you better in this instance to comment on something personal you read on the other person’s profile.
- Be Unique and Be Yourself – If you want to click with somebody, do not be pretentious or try to be somebody you are not, as that is defeating the aim of the exercise. Be friendly, be yourself, and stay away from cheesy pick-up lines.
- Don’t be shy – If you see a profile that you like, so not wait for the person to contact you, make the first move, whether you are male or female. If you do not you may be missing out on meeting the perfect person.
- Use a Webcam – although you can SpeedDate without one, using a webcam is far better as it makes for a more personal chat if you and the other person can see each other when you chat; remember, body language is very important.
Costs and Benefits of Premium Membership
Although free membership offers more than enough for most members, there are definitely some benefits to lining as a paid member or even upgrading from a free membership to a paid one.
Premium Membership Costs:
- You can either sign up as a Premium Member or upgrade to one for $25 per month.
Premium Membership Benefits:
As a Premium Member, you will have benefits that free members do not have. SpeedDate is constantly adding new features, but the ones that are currently available to Premium members are the following:
- You get Featured Member status denoted by a star on your profile.
- You can see who has viewed your profile and who wants to date you
- You can contact all members
- You can chat to and message other members after you date them
- You can respond to people who “favorite” you
- You will be prioritized for online speed-dating which means that you will get more dates
- You can view multiple photos
- You can choose exactly who you want to date
- You can choose who you want to instant message
- Your profile will come up first in search results
- You will receive Priority Service
SpeedDate works because of the way it is set up, and the fact that you get to speak to people in real-time in your geographical area. Even though it is just under 5% more expensive than average dating websites, SpeedDate gets around thirteen million visitors every month, of which 3.8 million are unique or first-time visitors; this is 387% more than the average for all Dating Websites. The site also keeps very good statistics, so you can at any time check how many women, men, Hispanics, Asians, Whites, or Blacks are using the site, should you want to. Currently, out of the 13, 000, 000 monthly visitors, 44% are male and 56% are female!