Pandora: What Is It and How Do I Use It?
Found In: Music
Pandora is a service whereby you can create and edit your own radio station to listen to the music that you like.
How to create a Pandora account
There are a few basic steps that you need to follow if you want to create and start using a Pandora account.
- Step one is to go to www.pandora.com. This will take you to the homepage of Pandora. If you are unable to click on the link to access the website, simply copy and paste it into your URL and press Enter. Note that this webpage is only available to you if you are currently within the US.
- When you access the homepage you will see that there is a very prominent field that says “Sign in to Pandora”. Underneath this are two options, namely “I forgot my password: and “Create an account”. No prizes for guessing which one you should click on. Click on “Create an account” to continue.
- This will take you to a page where you will need to enter some information. All you really need is an email address and a password so the sign up process is fairly easy. Remember that the password you choose should be something that is easy for you to remember. At the same time it should also be something that other people will not easily be able to guess. Think about this carefully. Your email address is needed so that the verification email can be sent to you and so that you will be able to access your account if you ever forget your password.
- And that’s it really for the sign up process. Quick and simple, and anyone can do it if they try.
Now that you have signed up you can sign in and get started following these simple steps.
- Go to www.pandora.com. This will take you to the homepage of Pandora. If you are unable to click on the link to access the website, simply copy and paste it into your URL and press Enter.
- On the homepage you will have the option to sign in. Use the email address and password you specified during the sign up process to do this.
- At the top left of your Pandora screen there is a button that says “Create a new station. Click on this.
- Here you can type in the name of a song or band that you like and Pandora will create a station for you based on that song or band. They will also include music in the playlist that is similar to the band or song that you specified.
- Obviously Pandora, which is a program and not a person, will not always get things right. In others words the program will not always choose a song for you that you like. This is why you have the option to give the song a thumbs up or thumbs down. If you give the song a thumbs up, Pandora will play that song on that particular station for you again in the future. Pandora will also continue to play songs that are similar to that song. If, however, you give a song a thumbs down it will never be played again on that station. In this way you can carefully control what kind of music is being played on your stations.
- You can also manage each of your stations. There is a grey arrow on the right side of the button for the station. If you click on it you will be able to Share, Add Variety, Rename, and Edit, Find other fans, and Delete that station. There is also a menu between the thumbs up and thumbs down buttons that you can use to make additional commands regarding the songs Pandora chooses.
Tips for creating the best Pandora radio station
There are a few basic tips that you can keep in mind when creating a Pandora station in order to try to create the best station possible.
- Have a clear idea in your mind regarding when you are likely to listen to the station that you want to create. Different activities and situations call for different types of music to suit the mood so consider this aspect very carefully before you start creating your Pandora station.
- Be very careful when you choose the seed song or artist. This is the song band or artist that you type in when you create your Pandora station. This is based on the Music Genome Project, and the songs that are then played on your station will be based on this first song that you choose. If you are choosing an isolated song from an artist make sure that it is a song that is truly representative of that artist if you want other similar songs and artists to appear on that station. Make this choice very carefully.
- Make sure that you give feedback about every song by using the thumbs up and thumbs down options. This will mean that you influence the choice of music that Pandora will play on that station and render it more likely that you will be listening to music that you actually like. If you don’t provide feedback the playlists will not be appropriately modified to suit your tastes.
- There are a number of editing options you can use to edit your station. You can, for example, add more music to your station. It is important that you edit your station whenever you think it is necessary to do so if you want to be sure of keeping a station that you like and that has only your favourite music.
- Rename your station if you feel that the original seed you used is no longer appropriate. This will also change the content of the station and make it more likely that you will enjoy listening to it.
Using Pandora is quick and easy and you will soon be listening to the music you love on your very own personal station.