Odesk: How to Use It
Found In: Employment
Odesk is like an online marketplace. Buyers and sellers can get together to close deals and achieve their professional goals and objectives. It is basically a way to outsource your work to qualified people. And the best part of all is that it is all absolutely free! However before you can start making contact with potential buyers or sellers you need to create an Odesk Account.
You can use Odesk to:
- Find the right contractor based on their history and skills test
- Review the work done by the people you hire
- Pay with ease
Creating an Odesk account: Steps to getting your Odesk account started
There are a few things you need to know to get started with Odesk.
- The first thing you should do is go to www.odesk.com. If you are unable to click on the link to access the website, simply copy and paste it into your URL and press Enter.
- On this website there are a number of options. For example about halfway down and in the centre it says “Post a job for free”. If you click on this you will be taken to a form that you can fill in for free to post a job on Odesk. This will take you to a form. Fill this out and then specify the job you are posting.
- Alternatively you can go to either the “Sign up” option in the top right corner or click on the “Looking for work?” button next to the “Post free job” button. Both of these will take you to two options where you will have to specify if you are looking to hire someone or if you are trying to find work. This will also bring up the same form.
- In the form, type in your first name and last name.
- Then specify an email address. Your email address is needed so that the verification email can be sent to you and so that you will be able to access your account if you ever forget your password.
- Choose your country form the drop down menu offered.
- Select the username that you would like to use. Think about this a little bit beforehand. You want your username to be one that really reflects who you are as a person. You should also remember that your username will have to unique, so make sure that you think of more than one username before signing up in case your first option is already being used by someone else.
- Choose and confirm a password by retyping it. Remember that the password you choose should be something that is easy for you to remember. At the same time it should also be something that other people will not easily be able to guess. Think about this carefully.
- Indicate how you heard about Odesk.
- You will then have to prove that you are human by completing the security verification section. This simply involves typing in the words that are shown to you on the screen. If you cannot see them you will have the option of generating new word and trying again.
- Click on the button to confirm your account registration. Remember that by doing this you are agreeing to the terms and conditions of the site. It is suggested that you actually read these terms first before agreeing to them.
- Once you have done this you will receive an email notification at the email address that you specified during the sign up process. Click on this link. If you are unable to click on the link simply copy and paste it into the URL.
Deleting your Odesk account if the need ever arises
If you ever decide that for whatever reason you would like to delete your Odesk account, there are several different ways to do this.
- The first way is through live chat with a help desk operator. Go to www.odesk.com. If you are unable to click on the link to access the website, simply copy and paste it into your URL and press Enter. Sign into your Odesk account. Click on the Help button at the bottom of your page. Click on Contact Support and then on Live Chat. Tell the support person that you want to close your account. When they agree to delete your account for you, close chat and sign out. Your account will be deleted and you should receive notification of this fact.
- The second way is by creating a support ticket with your request to cancel. Go to www.odesk.com. If you are unable to click on the link to access the website, simply copy and paste it into your URL and press Enter. Sign into your Odesk account. Click on the Help button at the bottom of your page. Click on Contact Support and then on Create a Support Ticket. Write your request to cancel your account and click Submit Ticket.
- Send an email with the request to delete your account to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include the purpose of your email in the subject.
- Say exactly what you need when you post a job. In other words, be specific.
- You should also be very specific about who you want for the job.
- Ask applicants to do something when you respond to their application to check that they’ve paid attention to everything you’ve said.
- Research someone carefully on the site before hiring them.
- Be ruthless when selecting candidates for interview as you cannot interview everybody.
- Test out the candidates that you are thinking of hiring by giving them a small job to do and see how they do it.
- When you’ve hired somebody, make sure that they have everything they need to complete the job form the first stay of work.
- Keep track of what your contractor is working on through snapshot reviews.
- Check-in with your contractor to see how they are doing and set milestones and goals for them to achieve.