Learning How to Use Ning
Found In: Social Networks
Ning is basically a social networking site that has a lot of advantages going for it. With Ning you create a Ning network around a particular thing, like a topic or company name. The person who creates the account gives each of the Nings a unique name and they make the effort to keep the Ning up to date. The Ning creator can also delete the Ning account and Ning network. This will make it unavailable to others.
Creating a Ning website
The first thing that you will have to do is to create a Ning website. Here are some basic steps for you to follow to achieve this:
- Go to www.ning.com or http://uk.ning.com/ in order to reach the homepage of the Ning website. If you are unable to click on the link to access the website, simply copy and paste it into your URL and press Enter.
- Near the top of the page on the right hand side there is an orange button called “Try it For free”. Click on this to continue.
- The next thing you will have to do is choose which Ning package you want. You have two options here. The first option is “Plus”, which comes with a $24.95 monthly payment. What you get this is the capacity to have up to 10,000 members, 10 GB storage, full privacy control, blogs, forums, photos and videos, groups, events and chat, custom design and URL, built-in social integrations, paid Access add-on available, and email customer support. Your second option is the “Pro” option, which costs $59.95 a month. This comes with the capacity to have unlimited members, 20 GB storage, all Ning Plus features, custom, brandable media players, upload music and video, mobile app-creation options, API access for advanced customization, paid Access add-on available, and phone and email customer support.
- Choose your option. This will take you to a form that you can fill out. Here you must enter your full name, an email address and a password of your choice. Your email address is needed so that the verification email can be sent to you and so that you will be able to access your account if you ever forget your password. Remember that the password you choose should be something that is easy for you to remember. At the same time it should also be something that other people will not easily be able to guess. Think about this carefully.
- Click on the button to confirm your account registration. Remember that by doing this you are agreeing to the terms and conditions of the site. It is suggested that you actually read these terms first before agreeing to them.
- If you want to skip all of this, go to http://www.ning.com/help/cgi-bin/ning.cfg/php/enduser/stdadp.php?pfaqid=3585.
- Fill in the information required, remembering to also specify your birth date and answer the question asked to confirm where you are. Click on the button to confirm your account registration. Remember that by doing this you are agreeing to the terms and conditions of the site. It is suggested that you actually read these terms first before agreeing to them.
- Then you will have to confirm your account. Do this by clicking on the necessary buttons. Enter your payment information and remember to cancel your account before thirty days if you don’t want to pay the fees.
- The next step after registering is to name your Ning. Choose something that is relevant and that you are interested in.
- Yu can then add links to your website in the form of notes, videos, and so on.
Creating a Ning: More details
There are a few more things you may like to know about creating a Ning:
- Choose a general topic and then choose the more specific sub categories.
- Choose a topic that you think many people will be interested in. You want as many people as possible to view your Ning. This is important because you will need them to help you pay after the thirty day trial is over.
- Customise your Ning.
- It is suggested that you keep your Ning set to “Private” until you are happy with it. Once you are, make it public and invite others.
- Go to Settings and click on Features Layout to change the layout of your Ning.
- Go to Settings and click on Appearance to change things like your profile and blog posts.
Deleting your Ning Account
If you want to delete your account because you don’t want to pay after the thirty day trial or for some other reason, follow these steps to do so.
- The first thing to do is to send a message to the members of your Ning to tell them you’re shutting down. This is courtesy. You can send them a message by logging into your account. Once you have logged in click on the Members option on your Ning. Click on Message Broadcast and type a message containing the details of your cancellation, such as your reasons and when the cancellation will be effective form. Click Send.
- Contact “Ning Help” either online or by phone (they can be reached at (866) 992-0972 weekdays, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Pacific Standard Time).
- Wait to receive email verification that the account has in fact been cancelled as per your request.
There is a price to pay, but there is no doubt that Ning is a great way to network with other people. Signing up is as easy as can be, and, considering that you automatically get a free thirty day trial, it is no wonder that so many people are trying out Ning to see what it is like. If you want a whole new networking experience then I suggest that you go to www.ning.com and get started today. You will not regret the experience, even if you don’t decide to stay after the thirty days and you will soon realise that Ning has revolutionised the way that we network. Give it a try today.