Lynda.com: What It Is an How to Use It
Found In: Knowledge Sharing
Lynda.com is basically an online training library that has such things as:
- software titles
- scripting languages
- design and web development platforms
- popular online sites
You can search for training by:
- course author
Or you can choose from one of the specific categories found at http://www.lynda.com/software/all. (If you are unable to click on the link to access the website, simply copy and paste it into your URL and press Enter).
According to Lynda.com you will be able to:
- Learn software from Adobe, Apple, Microsoft and more.
- Classes for beginners to experts.
- Learn at your own pace: Play, pause, rewind.
- Watch one tutorial at a time, or a whole course.
To make you understand just how influential and popular Lynda.com is, have a look at a list of some their clients:
- Capital One
- Procter & Gamble
- JPMorgan Chase
- State Farm
Registering with Lynda.com
In order to register with Lynda.com, follow these few basic steps:
- Go to the Lynda.com homepage. This can be found at http://www.lynda.com/. If you are unable to click on the link to access the website, simply copy and paste it into your URL and press Enter.
- On this page you will have two options in order to continue with the registration process. At the top of the page towards the left is a link called “Become a member”. Click on this. Alternatively you can click on the “subscribe” button which is blue and found towards the middle of the screen.
- If you want to skip the homepage, go to https://www.lynda.com/home/Registration/ConsumerRegistrationStep1.aspx?bnr=topbeamember_newsite. If you are unable to click on the link to access the website, simply copy and paste it into your URL and press Enter.
- A registration for will appear. The first thing you will have to do is to select which subscription you would like. There are four options. The first is the Monthly Subscription which costs $25.00 a month. This is the most popular and affordable plan because there are no long-term commitments involved. The second option is the Monthly Premium Subscription. This also comes with no long-term commitments and costs $37.50 a month. What makes this better than the Monthly Subscription is that it includes the instructors exercise files which means that you will be able to follow along with the instructor. You could also tray an Annual Subscription, which is of course a long term commitment. However it is smart financially as it will ultimately cost you less than the monthly subscriptions. The cost of the subscription is $250 a year. The last choice is the Annual Premium Subscription. At $375 a year it is the plan that offers the best value for money from Lynda.com. Like the Monthly Premium Subscription you will have access to all instructor files to follow along with him or her.
- Under the subscription choice boxes there is a link that says “Need a plan for more than five users?” If you do, click on this to find out the best way to develop such a plan, or go straight to http://www.lynda.com/online-software-training/multiuser-solutions.html. If you are unable to click on the link to access the website, simply copy and paste it into your URL and press Enter.
- The next two fields that you will have to fill out on the registration form are your first name and last name.
- Then you will have to give your email address. Your email address is needed so that the verification email can be sent to you and so that you will be able to access your account if you ever forget your password.
- Choosing the username to be associated with your Lynda.com account comes next. Think about this a little bit beforehand. You want your username to be one that really reflects who you are as a person. You should also remember that your username will have to unique, so make sure that you think of more than one username before signing up in case your first option is already being used by someone else.
- Next you will have to choose and confirm the password you would like to use. Remember that the password you choose should be something that is easy for you to remember. At the same time it should also be something that other people will not easily be able to guess. Think about this carefully.
- Indicate by ticking in or leaving blank the boxes next to each item whether you are interested in receiving monthly newsletters, new releases notifications, and special announcements and offers.
- Once you have completed all of the information, click on the yellow “Continue” button.
- Next you will have to fill in all of your billing information so that you can pay for your account. Once you have completed all of this information in full, click on “Continue”, and star learning with Lynda.com.
Ten reasons, according to Lynda.com, why you should join this program:
- Online Training Library®–Subscribe to a World of Knowledge
- Memberships to Fit Multiple Budgets and Needs
- A Wide Selection of Topics and Software Categories
- New Releases Every Week
- Top Quality Training and Tutorials
- The Highest Quality Instructors
- Inspirational and Behind-the-Scenes Project Documentaries
- Searchable Closed Captions
- Certificates of Completion
- Economical Multi-User Training for Businesses and Schools
There are a few video tutorials on Lynda.com which you will be able to watch without paying. To do this go to the Tutorial Library and click on the subject you are interested in. All of the options written in blue are ones that you can watch for free. To watch them simply click on the name. This will give you an idea of the tutorial contents and will help you decide whether or not you want to subscribe.