Justin.tv and How to Use It
Warning! Website described in this article is discontinued and no longer in service. Content is moved to ‘Discontinued Websites‘.
What is Justin.tv?
Justin.tv is a place for you to connect with other people by sharing videos, watching videos, and chatting with friends online in real time. It is a very popular program used by many people.
Steps to signing up with Justiin.tv
- The first thing that you will need to do is to go to the Justin.tv website. You can find this at http://www.justin.tv/. If you are unable to click on the link to access the website, simply copy and paste it into your URL and press Enter.
- On this page you will see the Login option, but as you do not yet have an account you will have to click on the “Create Account” link below the sign in fields.
- You will first have to specify the username that you would like to have associated with your Justin.tv account.
- On this sign up page you will then have to specify the password that you would like to use with Justin.tv. Remember that the password you choose should be something that is easy for you to remember. At the same time it should also be something that other people will not easily be able to guess. Think about this carefully.
- Then specify your birth date. This is very easy to do as you can simply use the drop down menu to find the correct information.
- The next step is to enter a valid email address. Your email address is needed so that the verification email can be sent to you and so that you will be able to access your account if you ever forget your password.
- Justin.tv has a verification system in order to confirm that you are human and to reduce the amount of spam they are likely to receive. To verify your humanity type in the words you see in the box below into the “Your Answer” field.
- Then you are ready to click on the “Create Account” link that is at the bottom of the page.
- Once you have done this you will receive an email notification at the email address that you specified during the sign up process. Click on this link. If you are unable to click on the link simply copy and paste it into the URL.
At this point there may be a few things that you would like to know about Justin.tv. Here are the main facts:
- Justin.tv is free and always will be. You can broadcast using Justin.tv at absolutely no charge.
- There are endless applications for Justin.tv, and consequently practically everybody will be able to find a use for it. As it is free, this means that there is no harm in signing up.
- If you want to have a Justin.tv account you will have to be at least thirteen years of age.
- If you want to use Justin.tv you will need to have a PC or Mac with internet access and an up to date web browser. You will also need to have a new version of Adobe Flash installed on your computer in order to view Justin.tv content. If you want to upload content you will need to have a webcam or camcorder that can connect to your PC or Mac.
- To broadcast using Justin.tv you will have to click on the “Broadcast” button. This button is red and can be found in the broadcast wizard. Fill out the description and profile by following the instructions. Also follow the instructions to do some channel design.
- To stream with Justin.tv it is suggested that you have a broadband connection as this will definitely make life a whole lot easier for you. But if you have 100kbps of upload bandwidth or more than you should find it simple enough to stream videos using Justin.tv. If you’re not sure how to find out whether or not your connection speed is fast enough, go to www.speedtest.net.
- USB cameras and USB/Firewire camcorders are usually able to be used with Justin.tv, provided your computer recognises the device you choose to use as a video camera. If it does then you will be able to use the camera to broadcast videos with Justin.tv. IP cameras are not accepted.
- You may be wondering how exactly to broadcast the best shows possible using Justin.tv. In order to do this you should check out http://blog.justin.tv/guides-faq/. There is a lot of information here that we don’t have time to go into right now, but you will easily be able to find out everything you need for yourself at this website.
- Remember to promote your videos through other channels so that your video will get more and more views. With Justin.tv you will be able to share with your friends on a variety of different social networking sites. To do this you can go to the “Settings” link which can be found under the “Promotion” tab. You can also share each individual video by clicking on the “Share” button below it.
- Remember that the profile you create will be public and that absolutely everyone will be able to see it. Be safe and sensible when creating your profile.
- To change your password (which we suggest you do regularly) you will first have to sign in. Once you have done this click on the “Settings” button at the top of the screen. Then click on Profile and Password Reset.
- If you want to delete your account, sign in, go to Settings, go to Account, and click on “Close Account”.
- If you feel that the content you are seeing please click on the “Report” button below each video.
- If you are struggling to use Justin.tv, there are a number of video tutorials that can help you which can be found at http://www.justin.tv/p/video_guides.
Justin.tv is a great way to broadcast your videos. Signing up and easy and once you get the hang of the system, using Justin.tv is easy too. You can’t lose anything by signing up, so why not give it a try?