Delicious – World’s Biggest Social Bookmarking Site
Found In: Tools
Delicious is basically a social bookmarking site. Not only that, but it is also the biggest social bookmarking site out there! The main advantage of Delicious is that it allows you to save, manage and share pages in a centralised source.
Creating a Delicious account
The first thing that you will have to do if you want to use Delicious is to sign up. I think that you would be glad to hear at this point that it is free to sign up for Delicious, and probably always will be. Another great advantage is that it is easy to do, so even if you feel like a technical idiot you should be able to sign up for Delicious quickly and without any problems at all.
- The first thing you will need to do is to go to http://delicious.com/. This is the homepage for Delicious and this is where you will have to go to begin the sign up process. If you cannot click on this link directly simply copy and paste it into your web browser or the URL.
- On the home page there will be a sign up link. Click on this link to begin the sign up process.
- Once you have opened this link you will have to go on by choosing a username and password. The username will have to be unique, and your password should be something that you will find easy to remember but that is not so easy that other people will be able to guess it easily.
- You will also have to specify your email address. This is important because the verification link for your account to become activated must be sent to a valid email address. If you forget your password at some later date you will also need to have an email address to which your password information can be sent.
- Once you have completed all of this information, namely your username, password and email address, you will then have to click on the ‘Register’ link in order to continue.
- If you are using either Firefox or Internet Explorer than the next thing you will need to do is to click on the ‘Install Extension Now’ button. Once you have done this you will be able to access Delicious quickly and easily from your browser. This is because clicking the ‘Install Extension Now’ button will add a Delicious button to your Firefox or Internet Explorer browser toolbar.
- Once you have installed this you will be able to easily bookmark pages that you would like to add to your Delicious database.
- So, what if you are using a different browser? If you are not using Firefox or Internet Explorer then you will have to drag and drop the Delicious bookmarklet buttons to your browser’s toolbar. There are however some limitations to this method. For example you will not be able to see your bookmarks unless you actually go to the Delicious website.
- Once you have completed the sign up process go to the email address that you typed in earlier and open the verification email. In this email there will be a verification link. Click on this link. If nothing happens when you click on the link, copy and paste it into the URL.
The next step is of course to start bookmarking. If you already have bookmarks or favourites saved on your computer you will be able to import them to your Delicious account if that is what you would like to do. You will first have to save these bookmarks in a file on your computer. To do this:
- Go to the Bookmarks menu and choose the option which reads ‘Manage Bookmarks’.
- You will then need to go to the ‘File’ menu. Once you have done this select ‘Exports’.
- Decide where the easiest place to save your Bookmarks will be, and click ‘Save’.
- Go to the ‘File’ menu and find the ‘Import and Export’ option. Once you have found it, click on it.
- Click ‘Next’, choose ‘Import Favourites’ and click ‘Next’ again.
- Choose the folder that you would like to export from and, once again, click ‘Next’.
- Choose ‘Export to file or address’.
- Decide where you would like your favourites to be saved. Once you have decided and specified this location, click ‘Next’.
- Click ‘Finish’. Your computer will then begin exporting you Favourites.
- Once you computer has exported you favourites you will then have to click ‘OK’.
Import your Bookmarks
The first thing you will have to do to import your bookmarks is to go to the Delicious homepage. Then, log into your account. At the top of the page is a link called ‘Settings. Click on this to continue. Go to the Bookmarks heading. Once you have found this click on the Import/Upload option. Browse to find the Bookmarks that you have already saved somewhere on your computer. Tag the imported Bookmarks. Choose your preferences from the options presented to you and then click the ‘Import Now’ option.
When you find a site that you would like to add to Delicious you can Bookmark it using tags. There are a few things to keep in mind regarding tags:
- There are no right or wrong tags. The important thing is that your tags make sense to you and that you can use them to find the bookmark again.
- You can use as many tags as you like. If later you decide that you are not happy with a tag, it is really easy to delete or change the tag if that is what you think is best.
- When you use tags, be consistent and follow some kind of standard or pattern. The reason you should do this is that it will make your tags a whole lot easier to find when you want to use the again later on.
Delicious is very easy to use and it can make your life and your social networking experience so much easier.