Found In: Business
Box.net is a system with which you can store your documents and files in a secure online location. There are also, however, several other things that you can use this system for. You can:
- collaborate on files
- edit online
- sign documents
- preview CAD designs
- edit images
- send content to Twitter
These are just a few of the things that you will be able to do if you choose to use Box.net.
How to sign up with Box.net
Create your account
- The first thing that you will have to do if you want to sign up with Box.net is to create a Box.net account. To do this you will have to go to the website. This can be found at http://www.box.net/. If you cannot click on this link then simply copy and paste it into the URL.
- On this homepage there is a link in the top right corner that says “Sign Up”. You should click on this to go on to create your account.
- You will then be given three options. You can either click on the Personal account option, which is free, the Business account option, which will cost you $15/user/month (but that has a 14 day free trial), or the Enterprise option. To find out about pricing for the Enterprise option you will have to click on the ‘Get in touch’ link. We will assume that you want to create a Personal account. Click on the ‘Sign up now’ option to continue.
- You will then have to choose the Box.net plan that you would prefer to use. You have two basic options here. You can either choose the business plan or the personal plan. Click on the option that you would prefer. Then you will need to fill out the sign up form that appears. The information you will need to include here is your name, your email address, the password that you want to use (which will have to be of appropriate strength and that you will have to confirm by rewriting it), your phone number, and your storage option of choice. There are three storage options to choose from. If you choose the 5 GB storage option it will cost you nothing as this option is completely free. If you would like 25 GB this will cost you $9.99 and if you would like access to 50 GB, this will cost you $19.99. You will also need to tick that you have read and agreed to the terms and condition. It is advisable that you actually read this information before simply ticking the box. It is always best to know exactly what you are getting yourself in for.
- Once you have finished filling in all of the necessary information, click on the big green ‘Continue’ button that you will see at the bottom of the page. This will take you on to the next step.
- The next step requires you to activate your account. To do this you will have to go the email account that you filled in during the sign up process. You should have received an email that will contain a button and a link. Click on this button or link to activate your Box.net account. Keep the browser with the Box.net page open as you may have to click “Resend the confirmation email” if you do not receive it. Before clicking this, however, it would be a good idea to look for the email in your spam or junk mail folder. If you still do not receive it after you have resent it, try changing the email address that you want to use. There is a link for this on the page that you will see once you have clicked on ‘Continue’ (previous step).
- You will now be taken to the confirmation screen. Here you should click on the green ‘Continue button in order to go on with the process.
Create a folder
Now that you have managed to sign up with Box.net it is time to start actually using it. The first screen that you will see once you have clicked ‘continue’ is a sort of welcome screen. At the bottom is a link that is called ‘Create a folder’. Click on this link. You will then have to specify a name for your folder, and you will have to choose who can access the folder. You will be able to click on ‘Just me’ or you will be able to indicate other people who can also view the folder.
You will now need to put something in your folder. When you create a folder it is empty until you put files in it. To do this:
- Click on the name of the folder that you want to upload files to
- Click on ‘Upload’ and upload your files one at a time or all at once. To upload in bulk, click on the ‘Bulk upload’ option which is what you will see if you click on the arrow next to the ‘Upload’ button.
- You will then be able to add files by using the ‘Add files’ link or by dragging and dropping files.
- When you click ‘Add files’ you will then be able to navigate to the folder where the files are stored, select the ones you want, and click ‘Open’.
- When you have gathered all of the files that you want to upload, click the ‘Upload’ button.
- A progress bar will appear to keep you informed of the progress of your upload. You can minimise this and do something else while you wait if you like.
View your files
To view your files you will again need to go to http://www.box.net/, but instead of selecting the ‘Sign Up’ option, you should select the ‘Login’ option. Use the email address and password that you specified when you signed up. Click on ‘Files’ to view your folders. From there figuring out how to work with them is easy.