What Is Airbnb and How on Earth Does It Work?
Found In: Travel
Airbnb is an online system whereby you are able to make contact with a host and request a reservation at their location. Basically it exists to connect people who have space for guests and people who are looking for a place to stay. This is not just a convenience thing. You will also have the opportunity to form real relationships with people from all over the world.
Signing up with Airbnb
If you want to sign up with Airbnb you will soon realise that the process is quick and simple. Just follow these few basic steps to get through the process:
Go to the Airbnb website
The first step is to go to www.airbnb.com to get to the home page. If you are unable to click on the link to access the website, simply copy and paste it into your URL and press Enter. At the top towards the left are three options. The middle option is “Sign up”. Click on this to sign up for Airbnb. If you want to skip the home page, go to https://www.airbnb.com/signup_login. Again if you are unable to click on the link to access the website, simply copy and paste it into your URL and press Enter.
Sign up with Airbnb
There are two ways for you to sign up with Airbnb. Choose the one that best suits you.
Sign up for Airbnb using Facebook
This is the recommended method for signing up with Airbnb. This is because it is a whole lot quicker than using your email account. Your profile will automatically be filled in for you and you will immediately be able to see any places that your friends are hosting.
Sign up for Airbnb using your email address
The other method is to use your email address to sign up for Airbnb. This is something that you may want to do if, for example, you don’t have a Facebook account. The steps to follow to do this are very simple indeed.
- The first things you will have to fill in are your name and your email address. These are required fields, so do not forget about them.
- Fill in a valid email address that you use often. Your email address is needed so that the verification email can be sent to you and so that you will be able to access your account if you ever forget your password.
- Choose a password to use when logging in to the Airbnb site and fill it out in the next field. Remember that the password you choose should be something that is easy for you to remember. At the same time it should also be something that other people will not easily be able to guess. Think about this carefully.
- Click on the “Create account” link. Please note that when you do this you are automatically accepting the terms of service of Airbnb. Make sure that you read through these first and that you are absolutely certain what those terms are.
- Once you have done this you will receive an email notification at the email address that you specified during the sign up process. Click on this link. If you are unable to click on the link simply copy and paste it into the URL.
- The next step is to start filling in your profile information, whether you are looking for space or offering space.
There are a number of frequently asked questions that people have asked in the past. Have a look at the list and see if there are any that you are concerned about. For answers, go to http://www.airbnb.com/help/. If you are unable to click on the link to access the website, simply copy and paste it into your URL and press Enter.
Questions that hosts often ask
- How and when do I get paid (a payout) for my reservation?
- How do I list my space on Airbnb?
- How does Airbnb handle security deposits?
- How is my search rank determined?
Questions that guests often ask
- What methods of payments do you accept?
- How and when do I pay for my reservation?
- How does Airbnb work?
- Should I book if I have not heard back from the host?
Things to remember when using Airbnb
Things for travellers to remember
- Communicate about everything all of the time. Make sure that everything is clear with you and the host.
- Be respectful when staying in the host’s home.
- If you want to take extra people with you, check with your host first and make the nessecary arrangements.
- Treat the place as if it were your own. You would want others to do the same in your space.
- If there are any problems, notify your host immediately.
- Make sure that you leave feedback for your host after your stay.
Things for hosts to remember
- Be honest when listing your space.
- Keep your calendar up to date so that your prospective guests will easily be able to see if your space is available.
- Make sure that you respond promptly to any communications from potential guests. This will show that you care. If you don’t you may be losing out on customers.
- Make sure that you are organised in terms of check-in. Make sure the details are finalised well ahead of time. When your guests arrive, welcome them openly.
- Remember that when you accept a reservation, you are committed to providing a service to your guests. If you let them down at the last minute then you will create a bad impression of yourself.
- If something goes wrong be prepared to present a remedy to the problem.
Signing up with Airbnb is quick and easy. You will also find that it is a great way to travel and meet new people, both for the guests and the host. Signing up isn’t a commitment. Sign up and look through the options to see if anything interesting catches your attention.